EQANIE, the European Quality Assurance Network for Informatics Education, promotes the implementation of quality assessment practice for informatics education systems in Europe and beyond. It develops quality assurance criteria and operates a European Label Award System for informatics education programmes. In addition, EQANIE serves to provide information on standards and assessment criteria, systems, procedures, manuals, publications and lists of accredited programmes.
EQANIE operates within the broader political context of the Bologna Process, which aims to create a European Higher Education Area (EHEA).
The main aims of EQANIE are:
- to improve the quality of educational programmes in informatics
- to provide an appropriate “European label” for accredited educational programmes in informatics
- to facilitate mutual transnational recognition by programme validation and certification
- to facilitate recognition by the competent authorities, in accord with the EU directives and other agreements
- to increase the mobility of graduates as recommended by the Lisbon Strategy
Consistent with the framework of the Bologna process, accreditation will distinguish between the first and second study cycle and will cover informatics programmes of all types of Higher Education Institutions (HEI).